Big BIG thanks to our sponsor Neil !
For information on today's festivals see eFestivals.co.uk
Updated Feb 2019, New pictures of the site and audience
Dec 2011 new photos of the Pye Recording crew and Miles Davis's engineer Stan Tonkel and producer Teo Macero
Best viewed at 1920 x 1024 res .
NB: MEDIA- If requesting contact details to use images for publication, please send the url, image file and name of Photographer to us so its easier to give you their contact details. Due to the impermanent nature of the web, people change addys frequently- so we don't have contact with all of our contributors.
The 1970 Isle of Wight Festival. 26th - 30th August 1970.
I'm looking for any pix you might have taken at the festival. Contact us
This new batch of photos courtesy Roy Bowen !
On Friday morning we made our way to the festival main entrance and were amazed by the security measures. If I remember correctly there was a double fence, which it was rumoured that the security dog`s patrolled between during the night? I also remember the toilets, not a pleasant sight, and my stomach must have decided there and then to go on stop for the duration of the festival.Within a few minutes of arriving in the festival site we bumped into a crowd of our friends, who had arrived at the festival a few days earlier.
We didn't stay with them for long, as we wanted to see how close we could get to the stage, and as you can see from the photographs we didn't manage to get too close to the front on the Friday. With regards to the music on the Friday, my main memories were of Taste and Family who were some of my favourite bands at the time. At the end of the Friday concert we made our way back to our little tent on the hill.
|Site pix 36||Site pix 37||Site pix 38||Site pix 39||Site pix 40|
Check out this link for more photos of the festival
Isle of Wight 1970 festival menu
updated March 2019
- Press and Program items
- Site Photos (updated Feb 2019 )
- Site map. (new 1-10-02)
- Isle of Wight 1970 homepage
- Official Program (New 9-16-03)
- Personal recollections of the festival-updated with new photos June 2009
- Other attendees recollections part 1 (updated Dec 2011)
- Other attendees recollections part 2 (updated March 2019)
- Information about band performances , personnel. set lists and recordings (updated December 2011)Col Underhill's Photos of the festival-New June 2009
- The Film
- IOW posters, passes and tickets
- 1970 festival page with rare pix.
- The battle to prevent the festival.
- The Artist
- Kenny Denton of the Pye Mobile Studios blog -new 2022The Pye Recording crew New pix July 2010
The Underground press- NB: opinions expressed in these articles do not represent our opinions of the organisers or any other people involved in the running of the festival, it is possible that they may be innaccurate in some details or facts.
- Friends Article ; Richard Nevilles review- A Race Of Bloody Masochists.
- Friends Article ; Anarchists, White Panthers ,Desolation Hill, The Angels
- Friends Article : The Police, Drugs, Food.
- Friends Article : Freek Press, The Beach , Community Aid ,Money.
- Friends Article : The Concerts, the Music.
- Friends Article : Guerilla Medicine , The straight press.
- Friends Article : Hawkwind and PInk Fairies.
- Friends Article : Rupert finds d...s at IOW
- Freek press No 1 - 8 -updated August 2007- new copies and updates
- Fairfield Parlour- Let the World Wash In
Reports from the "Straight "press
updated March 2019
- August 25th 1970
- August 26th 1970
- August 27th 1970
- August 28th 1970
- August 29th 1970
- August 30th 1970
- August 31st 1970
- September 1st 1970
- Memoirs of a Blacklisted Journalist- great backstage IOW 70 account
- Excellent collection of photos of artists and site
- Extensive personal memoirs by Loris Valvona - well worth a read -added Jan 2012
The White Panthers
Other IOW festivals.If you have any info you can contribute to the site, especially regarding the 1968 and 1969 festivals, such as details of recordings. recollections, programmes, tickets, pix or articles don't just sit there , Contact us
1968 Isle of Wight festival 1969 Isle of Wight festival
Back to the main Archive.