Big BIG thanks to our sponsor Neil !
For information on today's festivals see eFestivals.co.uk
Updated Feb 2019, New pictures of the site and audience
Dec 2011 new photos of the Pye Recording crew and Miles Davis's engineer Stan Tonkel and producer Teo Macero
Best viewed at 1920 x 1024 res .
NB: MEDIA- If requesting contact details to use images for publication, please send the url, image file and name of Photographer to us so its easier to give you their contact details. Due to the impermanent nature of the web, people change addys frequently- so we don't have contact with all of our contributors.
The 1970 Isle of Wight Festival. 26th - 30th August 1970.
I'm looking for any pix you might have taken at the festival. Contact us
Photos on this page courtesy of George Stoller.
The press enclosure. Friday afternoon.
George , who took these photos from the press enclosure says :
No big deal went on in the press enclosure: Arriving at the site Friday afternoon I didn't like much the idea to follow the whole festival staring at a matchbox-sized stage. Being a student of the "Centre Suisse d'éducation en publicité et information" (which is French for about the same thing in English) I was equipped with a legitimation card of that institution, which I presented at the press entrance. Believe it or not: With the few key words on that card I succeeded to convince them that I was about the most important Swiss representative of communications - so they let me in! Once I was in there I sat down on my bag starting to realize what just happened.
Five minutes later a guy spoke to me in French and asked: "You're Swiss, right?" How the hell did he know? Very simple: The field-grey bag I was sitting on was part of every Swiss soldiers ARMY kit...! And the other guy was a journalist of a French-speaking Swiss newspaper.
What happened to my camera after the Who's set? No big deal either: It just dropped and got broken on the scaffold in front of the stage...
|Site pix 36||Site pix 37||Site pix 38||Site pix 39||Site pix 40|
Check out this link for more photos of the festival
Isle of Wight 1970 festival menu
updated March 2019
- Press and Program items
- Site Photos (updated Feb 2019 )
- Site map. (new 1-10-02)
- Isle of Wight 1970 homepage
- Official Program (New 9-16-03)
- Personal recollections of the festival-updated with new photos June 2009
- Other attendees recollections part 1 (updated Dec 2011)
- Other attendees recollections part 2 (updated March 2019)
- Information about band performances , personnel. set lists and recordings (updated December 2011)Col Underhill's Photos of the festival-New June 2009
- The Film
- IOW posters, passes and tickets
- 1970 festival page with rare pix.
- The battle to prevent the festival.
- The ArtistThe Pye Recording crew New pix July 2010
The Underground press- NB: opinions expressed in these articles do not represent our opinions of the organisers or any other people involved in the running of the festival, it is possible that they may be innaccurate in some details or facts.
- Friends Article ; Richard Nevilles review- A Race Of Bloody Masochists.
- Friends Article ; Anarchists, White Panthers ,Desolation Hill, The Angels
- Friends Article : The Police, Drugs, Food.
- Friends Article : Freek Press, The Beach , Community Aid ,Money.
- Friends Article : The Concerts, the Music.
- Friends Article : Guerilla Medicine , The straight press.
- Friends Article : Hawkwind and PInk Fairies.
- Friends Article : Rupert finds d...s at IOW
- Freek press No 1 - 8 -updated August 2007- new copies and updates
- Fairfield Parlour- Let the World Wash In
Reports from the "Straight "press
updated March 2019
- August 25th 1970
- August 26th 1970
- August 27th 1970
- August 28th 1970
- August 29th 1970
- August 30th 1970
- August 31st 1970
- September 1st 1970
- Memoirs of a Blacklisted Journalist- great backstage IOW 70 account
- Excellent collection of photos of artists and site
- Extensive personal memoirs by Loris Valvona - well worth a read -added Jan 2012
The White Panthers
Other IOW festivals.If you have any info you can contribute to the site, especially regarding the 1968 and 1969 festivals, such as details of recordings. recollections, programmes, tickets, pix or articles don't just sit there , Contact us
1968 Isle of Wight festival 1969 Isle of Wight festival
Back to the main Archive.