Big BIG thanks to our sponsor Neil !
For information on today's festivals see eFestivals.co.uk
Updated Feb 2019, New pictures of the site and audience
Dec 2011 new photos of the Pye Recording crew and Miles Davis's engineer Stan Tonkel and producer Teo Macero
Best viewed at 1920 x 1024 res .
NB: MEDIA- If requesting contact details to use images for publication, please send the url, image file and name of Photographer to us so its easier to give you their contact details. Due to the impermanent nature of the web, people change addys frequently- so we don't have contact with all of our contributors.
The 1970 Isle of Wight Festival. 26th - 30th August 1970.
I'm looking for any pix you might have taken at the festival. Contact us
This new batch of photos courtesy Roy Bowen !
Moody Blues onstage
I remember the night becoming quite cold after the heat of the day, and at some time during the night I dozed off to sleep. The upshot of this was that I missed half the Jimi Hendrix Experience performance. Over the years I have mentioned to all my friends, that my claim to fame is that I slept through the last Jimi Hendrix performance, but reading other people memories on this web site, I can see I was not alone. Luckily, my mates Kevin and Brian managed to kick me awake, so that I saw at least the last few numbers and the encore.
I have no recollection of the rest of the festival, collecting our tent from Desolation Row, the walk back to the ferry or the ferry crossing. The only vision that has stayed with me is of walking out of the site and looking at the mountains of rubbish. Peter Townsend was right when he wrote about a "Teenage Wasteland"
last picture was taken in the temporary car park at the Lymington ferry
port. It shows me looking the worse for wear just before the long drive
home. The cars in the picture look very dated and bring it home to me
that the festival was now over 36 years ago, but I wouldn't have missed
it for the world.
|Site pix 36||Site pix 37||Site pix 38||Site pix 39||Site pix 40|
Check out this link for more photos of the festival
Isle of Wight 1970 festival menu
updated March 2019
- Press and Program items
- Site Photos (updated Feb 2019 )
- Site map. (new 1-10-02)
- Isle of Wight 1970 homepage
- Official Program (New 9-16-03)
- Personal recollections of the festival-updated with new photos June 2009
- Other attendees recollections part 1 (updated Dec 2011)
- Other attendees recollections part 2 (updated March 2019)
- Information about band performances , personnel. set lists and recordings (updated December 2011)Col Underhill's Photos of the festival-New June 2009
- The Film
- IOW posters, passes and tickets
- 1970 festival page with rare pix.
- The battle to prevent the festival.
- The ArtistThe Pye Recording crew New pix July 2010
The Underground press- NB: opinions expressed in these articles do not represent our opinions of the organisers or any other people involved in the running of the festival, it is possible that they may be innaccurate in some details or facts.
- Friends Article ; Richard Nevilles review- A Race Of Bloody Masochists.
- Friends Article ; Anarchists, White Panthers ,Desolation Hill, The Angels
- Friends Article : The Police, Drugs, Food.
- Friends Article : Freek Press, The Beach , Community Aid ,Money.
- Friends Article : The Concerts, the Music.
- Friends Article : Guerilla Medicine , The straight press.
- Friends Article : Hawkwind and PInk Fairies.
- Friends Article : Rupert finds d...s at IOW
- Freek press No 1 - 8 -updated August 2007- new copies and updates
- Fairfield Parlour- Let the World Wash In
Reports from the "Straight "press
updated March 2019
- August 25th 1970
- August 26th 1970
- August 27th 1970
- August 28th 1970
- August 29th 1970
- August 30th 1970
- August 31st 1970
- September 1st 1970
- Memoirs of a Blacklisted Journalist- great backstage IOW 70 account
- Excellent collection of photos of artists and site
- Extensive personal memoirs by Loris Valvona - well worth a read -added Jan 2012
The White Panthers
Other IOW festivals.If you have any info you can contribute to the site, especially regarding the 1968 and 1969 festivals, such as details of recordings. recollections, programmes, tickets, pix or articles don't just sit there , Contact us
1968 Isle of Wight festival 1969 Isle of Wight festival
Back to the main Archive.