The Archive.

Last update Jan 2014

For information on today's festivals see

Goodbye Summer .

Concert for Bangladesh .

The Oval , Kennington .


The Who, The Faces,Atomic Rooster, Eugene Wallace, America, Mott The Hoople ,Quintessence ,Lindisfarne, Grease Band ,Cochise .


"As you can see, an encore is impossible. We have drums everywhere."

MC Jeff Dexter , after the Who have destroyed their instruments at the end of their set


The view from backstage , next to the Pye mobile studio. © Simon Heyworth

    A one day festival to raise funds to help the folks who were dying from famine in Bangladesh.Normally home to cricket tests by the likes of England and Australia , the famous gasometer overlooked 35,000 freaks who collectively raised £15,000 towards famine relief.

    In keeping with the cricketing theme, The Who's roadies wore cricket gear and famous roisterer Keith Moon came onstage branishing a cricket bat . He then proceded to use the bat as a drumstick for the first number ! The bat was then thrown into the audience (much to the consternation of Jeff Dexter, who had borrowed it from the club as part of his onstage costume ).

At the conclusion of the set Townshend destroyed his guitar and Moon walked THROUGH his drums -scattering them and thus preventing any chance of an encore !

The Who and "The Lights" © Colin Lourie

Music press review

The Who, the Faces- the Oval Cricket Ground,

    Buffalo Music and Bangla Desh may sound like an odd mixture to anyone who wasn't around Kennington on Saturday. But these six ingredients, coupled with the weather, combined to make Saturday not only a memorable day in the history of British rock, but one of the most enjoyable days of my 24 and a half years. It is doubtful whether any of the 31,000 official guests (the figure was probably more like 35,000) had cause to complain. The show, compered by Rikki (Isle Of Wight) Farr and a cricketing Jeff Dexter, was superbly organised. With one notable exception, the delay between acts was never more than about 15 minutes.
    The Oval itself proved an ideal natural venue for staging a rock concert of this magnitude. The unlikely partnership of the rock business and the establishment of the cricketing world paid off handsomely. At least 15000 Pounds will be given to the Bangla Desh victims as a result. The choice of the Who and the Faces to finish off the night was a stroke of genius, not only because both rely on visual excitement to build up their act, but because there was undoubtedly a certain amount of rivalry between the two camps.

   The Who have long claimed the crown for the most exciting live act on the road - both in this country and across the Atlantic - while the Faces have challenged them for the crown for the greater part of this year. Few, I feel, will disagree with me when I say that the Who retained their title.

    Not that the Faces played badly - they warmed up into one of their spontaneous chunks of excitement comfortably - but the Who played and sounded better. Comparisons with groups like the Who are unfair, but the sight of the audience cheering and waving their arms when the Who's gigantic arc lights were switched on is a sight I shall remember for many a year. While the Faces establish their friendly rapport with the audience, the Who are surrounded by a charisma which elevates them much higher than the 20 foot high stage. The violence and sheer guts of Pete Townshend's performance on Saturday made him the most commanding figure of the day.

    The Who brought a new stage act to the Oval and a new sound system which was clearer than any other band on the bill. They played most of the numbers from their new album, so for most of the fans it was a first live hearing. They opened with Summertime Blues, a good choice which hits the audience full in the face at the very start. Entwistle's My Wife and Love Ain't For Keeping from Who's Next follow and then straight into a medley of Can't Explain and Substitute, oldies which never lose their appeal. Three more new songs, including a lengthy Won't Get Fooled Again accompanied by taped organ, before the Tommy medley. First It's Pinball Wizard then the lights darken for the opening chords of See Me Feel Me. This song was the act's highlight. A single spot on Daltrey's head brought out the dramatic opening lines. Slowly the tempo built up with the lights simultaneously, until both group and audience were singing.
    Seconds after the climax, the group went into My Generation, with Townshend leaping around the stage like a madman. He ran around in small circles whilst playing, smashed his head against his guitar and spun his arm in the propeller fashion he's made his trademark. Daltrey, with hair like some Grecian goddess, grabbed the mike stand for support while Moon attacked his drums with a ferocity no other drummer can. Sticks flew everywhere. And Entwistle, calm as ever, stood and watched.
Naked Eye, Townshend's anti-drug song which hasn't, as yet, been recorded , followed, and they closed on Magic Bus. Inevitably Townshend's guitar - a brand new Gibson bought for the day - was sacrificed to the crowd. He hammered it to pieces with the mike stand and took a flying leap into his stack. The wreckage was thrown to the crowd as Moon stood up and literally walked through his drum kit.

    Perhaps with a better start, the Faces would have matched the Who. Unfortunately, their sound balance during the opening numbers was shaky and Rod Stewart - in a leopard skin suit - could do little about it. It wasn't until It's All Over Now that things started moving. Ronnie Wood gave his usual superb display of slide guitar work during Plynth, and Maggie May brought the crowd to their feet while Stewart camped around the stage swinging the mike stand like a drum-major. They finished with Losing You, but came back for an encore (they were the only group to play an encore throughout the day) to play Feel So Good.

    Once off the ground the Faces put every ounce of effort into their set. Few groups, apart from the Who, could have followed them. With so much excitement in the closing hours of Saturday, other acts were probably quickly forgotten. Cochise opened the proceedings at 11a.m., followed by some chunky rock from the Grease Band.

    Lindisfarne - who received an outstanding ovation when they walked on stage - suffered from a faulty PA system, and Alan Hull's vocals were barely audible at times. Quintessence chanted merrily for three-quarters of an hour but generated little effect. Mott The Hoople succeeded in waking people. Although their Stones' impersonations were lost, their stomping attack on Keep A Knocking was the liveliest session of the afternoon. America, a three-piece acoustic group, took a long time tuning up and played a short set which sounded strangely like Neil Young with his fellow Laurel Canyon men in the background. Pretty music for a sunny afternoon. Irishman Eugine Wallace, who apparently had never appeared before an audience greater than a few dozen before, took us on to Atomic Rooster.
    Rooster had broken an American tour specially to appear. It was the debut of the new Rooster and, unfortunately, they were another band to suffer from poor sound balance.
So it was left to the Faces and the Who to bring the evening to a climax.


Couple of good articles here at Surrey Cricket Club , they use some of our info but there are also some new photos we haven't got

Can YOU help flesh out the festival with reviews , information, recordings and photographs ?

Contact us if you can help.

Back to the main Archive.